Sunday, December 21

let this phone ring out into nowhere

at each of her 'coffeehouse tour' shows, carmel gets the audience to sing along with her on one of her songs. the chorus is simple: 'i don't need it anymore' repeated three and a half times. by way of interest-arousing introduction, she invites people to think about the things in their life that they want to get rid of, all the things they don't need anymore. she suggests anything from clutter to toxic people to time wasters. it's rather effective. people belt it out rather enthusiastically after given the chance to make it personal.

it has made me wonder about what things i don't need anymore. i love all the people in my life right now. having moved six times in three years, i don't really have a lot of unnecessary possessions. all i can seriously consider needing to get rid of is myself. or, at least, parts of myself.

i would like to get rid of my weakness and my failure, my self-destructive habits and my lack of focus. i can make an extensive list once i think of it in these terms.

with every seeming fresh start (new year, new house, new job, etc) i set all kinds of goals for the person i am going to become. and everytime i fail to follow through. it's difficult to just stop being lazy and afraid. it's not something i can put on a list, do, then cross off - like taking out the garbage. it's not ever really done. not in this system anyway.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish you oould love yourself anyways. The rest of us do!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it's hard to recognize our own acomplishments and advancements, especially when we don't write them down and cross them off; we forget what our goals were in the first place. Even in the short time you've been in Halifax, you have grown and everyone sees it. Believe in the power you have and is available to you to better yourself, even if you think it's small and insignificant, we see it...your advancement has been made manifest. It's beautiful.

erin said...

thank you guys for your kind words. i think my post came across as more negative than i intended. i was really happy to realize that i don't have any significant possessions or people in my life that i wish were not there. and things about myself will always be frustrating and unsatisfying as long as this system continues. i'm just trying to teach myself to accept those limitations and forgive myself for them.

Anonymous said...

well i think your wicked cool erin!
& one of the(if not the ONLY)best friends anyone could ever have.
you just need this new system too eh.